We started making our own laundry detergent almost a year ago to save money, make bulk and know it’s simple ingredients. After researching I chose the recipe the Duggar family has posted. This is how we make a big batch….
- Grate 1 bar of Ivory soap. (hand grater or food processor)
- Store grated soap and 4 cups of warm water over medium-low heat. Stirring continuously, until melted.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. (We bought the orange bucket at the Home Depot.)
- Add melted soap mix, 1 cup Super Washing Soda (Arm & Hammer), and 1/2 cup Borax to bucket.
- Fill to top of bucket with more hot tap water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight.
- Stir well to break up the gelled mixture. Pour into cleaned, used laundry containers half full. Fill the rest with water.
- Shake before each use. Use 5/8 cup for each load.
-I have used orange essential oil to scent. (Lavender would also be nice.) It is easier to add it to the individual laundry container versus the big bucket.
-You can also use Fels-Naptha brand soap, any plain bar of soap. Ivory has a little nice fresh scent (plus I had several bars for free).
-Super Washing Soda is not Baking Soda, but both made by Arm & Hammer. It can be found in most laundry aisles. I found it cheapest at Walmart.